The Insurance Bureau of the Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking (DISB) protects the interests of District consumers by ensuring that insurers and individuals presenting insurance products in the District of Columbia are qualified, appropriately licensed, and meet and act in accordance with all requirements of the insurance laws of the District of Columbia. The Insurance Bureau addresses consumer complaints, monitors the financial condition and marketing activities of insurers, licenses insurance companies and producers, and reviews insurance policies and rates to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
The District of Columbia is part of the US insurance regulatory framework which is a highly coordinated state-based national system designed to protect policyholders and to serve the greater public interest through the effective regulation of the US insurance marketplace. Through the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), US insurance regulators establish national standards and best practices, conduct peer reviews and coordinate their regulatory oversight to better protect the interests of consumers while ensuring a strong, viable insurance marketplace. US insurance regulators also participate in the International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS) along with the NAIC by participating in major standard setting initiatives, including working with fellow regulators from around the world to better supervise cross-border insurers, identifying systemic risk in the insurance sector, and creating international best practices.
- August 22: DISB Public Hearing on 2020 Proposed Health Insurance Rates
- July 15: Notice of Public Hearing—2020 Health Insurance Rates
- DISB Public Hearing on Proposed 2020 Health Insurance Rates, 6/10/2019
- Notice of Public Hearing—2020 Proposed Health Insurance Rates
- 2019 Private Passenger Insurance Market Hearing
- Service Contract Providers
- Updates for the Insurance Industry
- Healthcare Providers Reporting
- Insurance Industry Anti-Fraud Compliance Reporting
- Multistate Insurance Diversity Survey
- Examination Reports