Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking

File a Claim After Storm Damage

Filing Property Insurance Claims After Storm Damage

Did your property (e.g., home, auto or commercial building) suffer damage during the recent storm?
If you plan to submit an insurance claim, the DISB has contact information available for insurance companies at

Are there tips for submitting an insurance claim?

  • Before calling your insurance company:
    • Have your policy number and a copy of your policy ready.
    • Document the damage--take photographs or video of the damage before clean-up and repairs.
    • After documentation, take steps to prevent further damage to your property.
    • Do not make permanent repairs until your insurance company has inspected the property.
    • Save all related receipts, including those from temporary repairs.
  • During calls with your insurance company:
    • Ask what documents, forms and data you need to file the claim.
    • Keep a diary of conversations with the insurance company and your agent.
    • Be certain to give the company all the information it needs.
    • If there is a disagreement about the claim, ask the company for the specific language in the policy in question and determine why you and the company interpret your policy differently.

Is there recourse if I don’t agree with the insurer?
If you believe you are being treated unfairly, contact DISB at [email protected] or call (202) 442-7849 between 8:15 am and 5 pm. Monday through Friday, or complete the complaint form:

Complaint Form

If my neighbor’s tree falls on my property who is responsible for the damage caused?

  • Report the incident to your insurance company.
  • Inform your neighbor of the damage.

Be advised that home repair fraud increases following a major storm.

  • Protect your investment by getting more than one bid from contractors and requesting at least three references.
  • Ask for proof of licenses, building permits, insurance and bonding.
  • Record the contractor’s license plate number and driver’s license number, and check for any complaints about the contractor with the Better Business Bureau.
  • Be wary of contractors who demand up-front payment for repairs.
  • If the contractor needs money to buy supplies, go with the contractor and pay the supplier directly.

If you have questions about filing an insurance claim, contact DISB by calling (202) 727 8000, email at [email protected] or visit


  • File a Claim After Storm Damage
  • File a Claim After Storm Damage in French
  • File a Claim After Storm Damage in Korean
  • File a Claim After Storm Damage in Spanish
  • File a Claim After Storm Damage in Vietnamese
  • Selecting a Contractor