Open Enrollment for Plan Year 2020: DC Health Link’s open enrollment begins November 1 and runs through January 31, 2020. DC Health Link is an online marketplace created for individuals, families, and small business owners in the District of Columbia to shop, compare, and select health insurance that meets their health needs and budgets. For more information, visit dchealthlink.com or call 855-532-5465.
This page contains approved health plan rate information for the District of Columbia’s health insurance marketplace, DC Health Link, for plan year 2020.
The average increase in 2020 premiums across all health insurers is 7.6 percent for individuals and 8.4 percent for small group plans. Aetna, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, Kaiser Permanente and UnitedHealthcare—the same four major insurance companies as last year—will have plans on DC Health Link. CareFirst and Kaiser Permanente plans cover individuals, families and small businesses for the 2020 plan year. Aetna and UnitedHealthcare plans are only available in the small business market. Overall, 181 plans were filed, up from 180 last year. Small group plans increased by one to 156, and individual plans stay the same at 25.
View the approved health insurance rate filings here.
The links below include tables of proposed rates for individual and small business plans to be offered on DC Health Link in 2020. The tables show low, high and average premiums by company, product type and metal level for ages 27, 40 and 55.
Use the link below to compare proposed rates for individual plans to be sold on DC Health Link in 2020.
Small Business (SHOP) Rates
Use the link below to compare proposed rates for SHOP plans to be sold on DC Health Link in 2020.
Comparison of Year-over-Year Rate Changes
Use these links for a comparison of year-over-year rate increases for those plans offered in 2019 and 2020. The tables are broken down by carrier, product type and metal level.
- 2020 Comparison of Year-over-Year Rate Changes—Approved
- 2020 Comparison of Year-over-Year Rate Changes—Proposed
- Comparison of Current Rates to Original 2020 Rate Filing
Sample 2019 Approved Premiums
Use the link below to compare premiums for the plans that are included in DC Health Link for both 2019 and 2020. In 2020, individual plans stay at 25. Small group plans increased by one to 181. These comparisons look at the average difference in premiums for plans offered in both 2019 and 2020 under various scenarios, for both individuals and small groups, by carrier and metal tier level.
Carrier Plan Counts
Use these links to review changes to plans offered from 2019 to 2020.
Related Press Releases, Notices and Hearings
- September 20: District Announces 2020 Health Insurance Rates press release
- August 22: DISB Public Hearing on 2020 Proposed Health Insurance Rates
- July 15: Notice of Public Hearing—2020 Proposed Health Insurance Rates
- June 10: DISB Public Hearing on Proposed 2020 Health Insurance Rates
- May 31: District to Hold Public Hearing on Proposed 2020 Health Insurance Rates
- 2020 Carrier Reference Manual
- Proposed 2020 Health Insurance Rate Filings
- Bulletin 19—IB-2-4/3: Rate Filings for Plans to be Sold to Individuals and Small Groups for Plan Year 2020