Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking

File a Complaint or Report Fraud

photo of hand holding pen and filling out a form1

Types of Complaints DISB Can Handle

We handle home, auto, business, health, life, dental and other insurance problems, affinity group plans, investment accounts, securities offerings, broker-dealers and investment advisers, questionable investment practices (e.g. Ponzi and pyramids schemes), suitability of transactions, check cashers including those operating in small grocery stores and liquor stores, consumer service contract organizations, consumer sales finance companies, Industrial Bank, money lenders (in person and online), money transmitters (in person and online), mortgage lenders, mortgage brokers, mortgage loan originators and student loan servicers. Complaints may include coverage issues, claim disputes, premium problems, sales misrepresentations, policy cancellations, refunds, etc.  We will also investigate complaints against insurance producers, financial advisers, brokers or agents and public adjusters.

We will look into your complaint to see if any District laws and procedures have been violated. We will also step in your place to obtain information and explanations from the financial service provider. If your complaint involves an entity that we do not regulate, DISB will refer complaints to the appropriate regulator for you, and work with our contacts to help resolve the problem.

Most complaints are investigated and brought to resolution in approximately 45 days.

If you have a dispute, contact the financial service provider first

When contacting the financial service provider (e.g. insurance company, broker-dealer firm, bank, etc.) have your account or policy number ready. Ask where your written dispute needs to be sent. State your complaint and how you expect the company to resolve it. Sending the dispute in writing encourages a written response.

Document your phone calls by noting the phone number you called, the name of the person with whom you spoke, the date of the call and a brief summary of the conversation. Keep copies of all written communications.

If you do not receive a satisfactory response from the firm, please file a complaint with DISB, using one of the forms at the bottom of this webpage. In addition to submitting our complaint form, send copies (not originals) of letters, notes, invoices, canceled checks, advertising materials, or other documents that support your complaint.

What happens if you are not satisfied with DISB’s results?

If you disagree with the assigned investigator’s response to your complaint contact our Consumer Services Division and ask to speak with a Supervisor.

You may wish to consult an attorney to discuss your concerns or request alternative dispute resolution (e.g. meditation) to settle the dispute.

Please consult the telephone book or the Internet for listings for attorneys and mediation services. If you need help finding an attorney, contact the Bar Association of the District of Columbia at (202) 296-7845.

Still have questions?

Contact the department’s Consumer Services Division at [email protected], send a fax to (202) 354-1085 or call (202) 727-8000. 

If this complaint is related to flooding, send an email to [email protected] or call (202) 442-7828.

Complaint Forms

You can fill out the complaint form online or complete the PDF version and mail, fax or hand deliver it to the agency. 

Contact TTY: