Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking

Request Help Dealing with Financial Institutions

Do you have concerns about your insurance company, mortgage lender, or investment advisor? Are you trying to figure out how to repay your student loans? We recognize that this may be a difficult time. The investigators and counselors at the DC Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking (DISB) may be able to help.

DISB licenses and regulates financial service companies and professionals that operate in DC. This means the DISB can assist you when you have concerns or complaints with the following businesses or products to determine if any DC laws or regulations have been violated:

  • Banks (accounts, loans, etc.)
  • Insurance companies (home, auto, renters, etc.)
  • Student loan servicers (private or federal)
  • Mortgage lenders and servicers
  • Money transfer services
  • Check cashers
  • Service contracts (home and auto warranties, etc.)
  • Investments advisers and representatives
  • Appraisal management companies
  • Professionals associated with these business entities

We will thoroughly review your problem and work with you to identify if there is a solution that works for both you and the institution. If your problem requires further investigation or criminal prosecution, the DISB will refer the matter to the proper authorities. Because the DISB does not have the legal authority to represent you and cannot offer legal advice, if you take legal action, you may need to consult an attorney.