Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking

Free Tax Preparation Sites

Need help filing your tax returns? IRS Certified volunteers will prepare and e-file your federal and state returns at no cost!

Who is eligible?

  • Individuals and families with income less than $59,000.
  • Your tax situation is within the scope of the volunteer training and certification.

What documents do you need to be ready to bring?

  • Unexpired, government-issued photo ID for yourself (and your spouse if filing jointly)
  • Social Security Card or Social Security Statement or ITIN letter
  • for each person to be listed on the tax return (unless filing to apply for an ITIN)
  • Important letters from the IRS or healthcare marketplace:
    • Form 1095-A if you had health insurance through the Marketplace
    • IP PIN letter if the IRS issues you an Identity Protection PIN
    • Any other letters from the IRS, DC or state tax agency
  • Income statements such as W2, 1099-G, 1099-NEC, 1099-R, 1099-SSA
    • If you don’t receive a document by the end of January, contact your employer/payer
    • For income not reported on a tax form, bring details about payments received such as a list cash payments or log-in information to your payment app (Uber/Lyft, DoorDash, etc.).
  • For direct deposit of your refund: bank account and routing number
  • If you paid for child care expenses that were not reimbursed, bring the tax ID, name, address and phone number of the provider(s) and the total expenses paid
  • Copy of your 2021 and 2020 tax returns if you have them as they may have important information we need to correctly prepare your 2022 tax return.
  • If you need to file for tax years 2020 or 2021, or to file for missing stimulus or Child Tax Credit payments, bring any notices the IRS sent you about stimulus or Child Tax Credit payments. And, if you worked in 2019, bring a copy of your 2019 tax return, or the amount of income received from working during 2019.

In-person assistance by appointment only:

United Planning Organization (CTA)
(Anacostia) Petey Green Center. (202) 231-7903

Howard University (CTA)
email [email protected]
or call: (202) 838-7798

  • School of Business (Shaw, NW)
  • Edgewood Commons (NE)

Community Tax Aid (CTA) at Centro Nía
(Columbia Heights) En español (202) 869-2999
or envíe correro electrónico: [email protected]

Community Tax Aid (CTA)
(202) 830-1480, or [email protected]

  • ERFSC (Minnesota Ave at Dix)
  • MLK, Jr Memorial Library (downtown)
  • Jubilee Jobs (Adams Morgan)

Catholic Charities
at CU Law School. (202) 319-6788

UDC-Van Ness
Accounting Dept. (202) 274-7022

AARP Tax Aide
Anacostia Library, SE (Tu, We) (202) 656-1689
Bellevue Library, SW (Sa) (202) 643-6407
Capitol View Lib, SE (Mo, We) (202) 643-4845
Emery Heights CC (Tu, Th): (202) 643-9263
Georgetown Lib, NW (We, Fr): (202) 656-1825
Petworth Library, NW (Mo, Fr) (202) 656-1341
Shaw Library, NW (Sat) (202) 683-7397
Southwest Library (Mo, We) (202) 656-0042
Turkey Thicket Rec NE (Tu, Th) (202) 643-9519
Woodbridge Library, NE (We) (202) 643-4279

Virtual Assistance: or

Earned Income Tax Credit

This information was last updated on January 30, 2023 and may have changed. For the most up-to-date information, please check the following sites: and