Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking

Consumer Complaints Program

DISB’s Consumer Complaints program helps DC residents with a problem involving your bank, insurance company, mortgage lender, investment advisor, student loan servicer, or other financial service companies and professionals that operate in DC.

DISB will thoroughly review your problem and work with you to identify if there is a solution that works for both you and the institution. If your problem requires further investigation or criminal prosecution, we will refer the matter to the proper authorities.

Who is eligible?

You are eligible to request help if you are a DC resident.

Do all eligible applicants receive help with their problem?

Yes. If Consumer Complaints can’t help with your problem, we will assist you in contacting another government agency who can help.

What type of financial institutions can DISB investigate?

Examples of financial institutions that DISB investigates include banks, insurance companies, student loan servicers, mortgage lenders, check cashers, service contracts, investment advisors, and appraisal companies. We can’t help with problems that involve financial institutions that aren’t required to follow DC laws and regulations, but we may be able to help you contact another government agency for help if your problem falls outside of our authority.

What type of issues can DISB investigate?

We can assist with any concerns you have with your bank, insurance company, lender, or other financial institution. We can also help you figure out how to pay back your student loans.

What steps do I need to take to get help?

  1. If possible, contact your financial institution with your problem first.
  2. If you’re not comfortable contacting the financial institution directly or if your problem is not addressed fairly, request help from DC Government online or by submitting a form to [email protected] or 1050 First St. NE, Suite 801, Washington, DC 20002. You’ll need to explain your problem in more detail and include copies of letters, invoices, and other materials to document your problem.

You can request help with a financial institution at any time.

What happens after I request help?

  1. DISB will send you a confirmation letter via U.S. mail within three business days of receiving your request. This letter will include the name of the person assigned to review your problem. If we can’t help with your problem, we will also let you know in this letter.
  2. We will review the facts of your problem, analyze DC laws and regulations, and contact your financial institution for a response.
  3. If we find that your financial institution violated DC laws and regulations, we will require the institution to correct the issue.
  4. We do our best to complete your case within 45 days. We will mail you a letter with the final status of the investigation and an update on if any next steps are needed.

What if I need a lawyer?

Because we can’t represent you in a legal action or offer you legal advice, you may need to consult an attorney.

Who should I contact if I still have questions?

If you have questions, please contact our Consumer Services team at (202) 727-8000, Monday to Friday, 8:15 am to 4:45 pm. You may also email us at [email protected] using the subject line “I have a question.”


Will DC Government contact the financial institution I’m having a problem with?

We may forward a copy of your request for help to your financial institution and ask them for an explanation. We’ll review their explanation to determine if they violated DC laws and regulations. If we find a violation, we can require them to take action to correct the problem.

Will DC Government help me understand my agreement with the financial institution?

Yes, if it could help solve the problem, we may explain the details of your agreement with the financial institution.

What can DC Government do to help if the financial institution’s actions didn’t violate any DC laws or regulations?

If we don’t find that the company violated any DC law or regulation, we may suggest alternative solutions for you to resolve your problem. That could include helping you contact another government agency if your problem falls outside of our authority.

Can DC Government represent me in court?

No, we can’t be your legal representative or intervene in a lawsuit, in or out of court. However, if we think you might need to take legal action to solve the problem, we’ll let you know. If you are at risk of or involved in a foreclosure, we may refer you to our Foreclosure Prevention Program, which may include legal services.

Can DC Government investigate my denied medical insurance claim?

We can investigate whether the insurance company had a good faith reason for denying your medical claim or if they violated your agreement or any DC laws or regulations. However, we can’t give any advice or make any decisions about your medical condition.

Can DC Government determine whether the financial institution is telling the truth?

No, we can’t settle disputes of facts surrounding your problem or decide who is telling the truth in a dispute between you and your financial institution.

Can the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) hold my fine until DC Government has finished investigating my problem?

No, we can’t ask the DMV to hold your fine while we investigate.

Can DC Government recommend a financial institution to me?

No, we can’t make recommendations or help you decide which financial institution to do business with.

Can DC Government share confidential documents from the financial institution?

Unfortunately, we can’t share documents that the financial institution says are confidential. We will comply with any court-ordered requests for documents.

I have an unresolved problem from several years ago. Can you help?

It depends. The law only requires that financial institutions keep certain records for 7 years, so if your problem is more than 7 years old, we may not be able to help.

What happens if I am not satisfied with the results of the investigation?

If you are not satisfied with the results of your investigation, you may request that the findings are reviewed by our senior management. A manager will review the investigator’s files, your concerns, and discuss the findings with you. If you would like to receive a manager’s review, contact our Consumer Services team at (202) 727-8000, Monday to Friday, 8:15 am to 4:45 pm. Or, you can email us at [email protected].



Complaint Forms

You can fill out the complaint form online or complete the PDF version and mail, fax or hand deliver it to the agency.