The Office of the General Counsel:
- provides legal guidance on insurance, securities and banking issues to the Department as well as District of Columbia regulated entities and consumers;
- drafts laws and regulations addressing insurance, securities and banking issues;
- negotiates and/or drafts settlement agreements, administrative bulletins, consent orders, administrative orders, rules, adjudicatory petitions, responses to motions, legal memorandums and briefs;
- develops charges and specifications relative to the denial, suspension and revocation of companies and insurance producers;
- conducts legal research on issues related to insurance, securities and banking;
- represents consumers and the Department before the Office of Adjudication, the Commissioner of Insurance, Securities and Banking or his designee during administrative proceedings; and
- participates in administrative hearings and recommends decisions and orders to the Commissioner.