DC Uninsured Motorist Fund
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the DC Uninsured Motorist Fund?
The DC Uninsured Motorist Fund is a fund for pedestrians or passengers injured by an uninsured vehicle driver who have no identifiable source of recovery.
Is there a cost for the DC Uninsured Motorist Fund?
There is no cost to DC residents.
Who is eligible for DC Uninsured Motorist Fund?
Persons are eligible to receive monies from the Uninsured Motorist Fund based upon the following conditions:
- Accident claim must be reported to the Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking (DISB) not more than 45 days after the accident occurred. This requirement may be waived for good cause.
- Victim files a claim on a form supplied by DISB and submits all required information and documents within 180 days after the accident. This requirement may be waived for good cause shown or if the victim is still under medical treatment due to injuries related to the accident.
- Victim has suffered loss in an amount exceeding $100 as a result of this accident.
- Victim is eligible only if the responsible party who must pay the victim is financially unable to meet their commitment.
- Victim is not eligible if he or she is at fault, is an insured, owns a registered motor vehicle, or operated a motor vehicle in the accident upon which the claim is based.
Where can I get an application?
View Uninsured Motorist Fund Application for Benefits [PDF]
Whom do I call if I need assistance with completing my application?
You can call DISB at (202) 727-8000 between the hours of 8:15 am and 4:45 pm, Monday-Friday or send an email to Insconsumerservices@dc.gov.
What do I do with my application when it is complete?
Submit application to the following address:
DC Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking
810 First Street, NE, Suite 701
Washington, DC 20002
Attn: Consumer Service
How do I know if I am eligible?
You will receive a letter within 45 days informing you if you are eligible.
If I am eligible, when will I receive payment?
Once you receive your eligibility letter expect to receive your award thereafter.
How long does my eligibility last?
Your eligibility ends when payment is received. There is no extension.