DISB licenses all insurance companies and agents that operate in the District of Columbia. Any insurance company that markets the new Medicare prescription drug benefit or Medicare Part D must be licensed by DISB and approved by the US Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). See Bulletin 05-PPI-003 10/20 [PDF] for more information on insurance producer activities and Medicare prescription drug plans.
DISB does not administer the Medicare program; however, the following resources have been provided on this subject.
- CMS’ Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage: A National Conversation – Friends and Family Toolkit [PDF]
- NAIC’s Consumer Alert: New Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage [PDF]
- CMS’ Quick Facts About Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage and Protecting Your Personal Information [PDF]
- CMS’ Fact Sheet on Medicare Part D and Anti-Fraud Efforts [PDF]
- Medicare and Prescription Drugs*
- Medicare y Medicinas de Receta Médica*
- Using Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) to Make Part D Easy: The District’s Approach*