The District of Columbia licensed its first captive insurer in 2001 and since then, the District has earned a reputation of being among the leading US jurisdictions for captive insurance. The District has a staff of knowledgeable and experienced captive insurance professionals dedicated to the reasonable and efficient regulation of captives. The District’s captive insurance laws and regulations are innovative and flexible, designed to easily accommodate the varied legal structures and operational requirements of the captive community.
The District’s Department of Insurance works with all of the major management, legal, accounting, auditing and actuarial firms in the captive industry. Washington, DC is among the most accessible captive domiciles in the US. It is served by three major airports and Amtrak, making travel to and from DC in the same day very realistic for most captive owners and their service providers.
To learn more about the District’s Captive Insurance Program, click on the links below, or contact the Risk Finance Bureau on (202) 727-8000.
General Captive Information
- Why Choose DC?
- Forming a Captive in the District of Columbia
- Certification Fees
- Guidelines for Business Plan Changes
- Redomestication Procedures
- Approved Captive Managers List
- Association Coverage Bulletin
Applications and Forms
- Captive Insurance Company Application
- Application for Approval as a Captive Manager
- Biographical Affidavit
- Financial Pro Forma Template (Required)
- Individual Certified Public Accountant Application
- Certificate of Authority Renewal Form
- Sample Letter of Credit Form
- Actuary Application
Laws and Regulations
- Captive Act 2004
- Captive Insurance Company Amendment Act of 2006
- Special Purpose Financial Captive Authorization Amendment Act of 2006
- Captive Insurance Company Regulations
- Amendments to Captive Insurance Regulations – Effective November 16, 2012
- Captive Insurance Company Amendment Act of 2012
- Amendments to Captive Insurance Regulations - Effective September 20, 2013
Financial Reporting and Premium Tax Information
- Annual Reporting Instructions (2018) (Financial Reporting, Tax Returns and Certificate of Authority Renewals)
- DC Domestic RRG Tax Return (2018)
- DC Captive Tax Return (2018)
- DC Captive Reporting Blank Form (2018)