Consumer Complaint Form - DISB
The Role of the Department of Insurance, Securities and Bankin (DISB)
As part of its oversight responsibility, the Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking (DISB) investigates complaints against the financial institutions that it licenses and regulates.
The Commissioner is empowered to take administrative action if there are violations of the laws or regulations that DISB administers.In appropriate cases, DISB will refer matters to the proper authorities for further investigation or criminal prosecution.
As an administrative agency DISB’s authority is limited to enforcing laws and regulations. However, DISB will thoroughly investigate your complaint and make every effort to bring about a satisfactory resolution. If the circumstances of your complaint require legal action, you may wish to consult an attorney.
DISB regulates the following financial institutions:
- Insurance Industry – insurance companies; insurance agents (producers); health maintenance organizations; continuing care retirement communities; captive insurance companies; and risk retention groups;
- Securities Industry – investment advisers and their representatives; broker−dealers and their agents; securities issuers and agents of issuers;
- Banking Industry – District−chartered banks; other state−chartered banks operating in the District; mortgage lenders; mortgage brokers; mortgage loan originators; check cashers; money transmitters; consumer sales finance companies and money lenders.
Guidelines for Completing this Form
- Please take the time to read these guidelines because following them will allow us to better serve you.
- Please complete the consumer complaint form as thoroughly as possible.
- Please attach supporting documentation.
- Please sign the consumer complaint form upon completion or if submitting
- it online, please complete the disclaimer section.
- Please retain a copy including any original documentation for your files.
- Please submit this form online or return the form by mail, fax, e−mail, or hand delivery to the following address:
District of Columbia Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking
810 First St., NE, Suite 701
Washington, DC 20002
Fax: (202) 354−1085
E− mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
DISB will acknowledge receipt of your complaint and advise you of the investigator assigned to handle it. If you do not receive this acknowledgement within 10 days to 2 weeks, please contact DISB.
If you should have any questions, please contact DISB’s Consumer Services Division at email@example.com.