District Leadership Program (DLP) - Paid Internship Opportunity
The District of Columbia Government’s Department of Human Resources (DCHR) is once again proud to announce its District Leadership Program (DLP). The DLP is an internship program designed to provide tomorrow’s leaders with the knowledge, tools, skills, and experiences that can be readily applied to their future challenges and pursuits, whether personal or professional. The DLP internship has two cycles: Summer 12 weeks (June - August) and Year Round (October - May).
Our program takes a holistic approach to developing Interns by providing a wide range of stimulating and developmental activities including:
- Substantive assignments in an unlimited array of functional areas related to government operations (i.e., Human Capital Management, Finance and Budgeting, Information Technology, Legal, Contracting and Procurement, Small and Local Business and Economic Development, Legislative Affairs, Health and Human Services, Education, and Performance Management)
- A customized Individual Development Planning Learning Lab and Tool Suite
- Classroom lectures and coursework on topics centered around core business services as well as other specialty topics
- Web-based training and development courses
- A series of Profiles in Leadership brown bag luncheons
- 360⁰ performance feedback for each intern
- Guest lecturers focusing on topics such as Customer Service, Priorities for the District of Columbia, and Leadership Development
- Undergraduate (Junior or Senior year) and graduate students currently enrolled, who are in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5 at a U.S. college or university. This must be supported by a transcript and an official letter from school administration.
- Students must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Applicants will be evaluated by the following documents which must be attached to the application; three essay questions, answer to a reflective question, and a panel interview.
Preference will be given to applicants who are;
- Residents of the District of Columbia, and
- Graduates of a District of Columbia High School.
Year Round FY16 Program
For the year round FY16, DCHR is partnered with a host agencies that are invested in the program and committed to champion the professional and personal development of the selected applicants. These agencies include Office of Human Rights, Office of Planning, Child & Family Services Agency, Office of Finance & Resource Management, Department of Human Services, Department of Health, District Department on the Environment, District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department, Health Benefit Exchange, etc.
- The program will function from October 12th to May 26. Applicants must be available as of October 5th.
- It is a 3 days per week commitment for a total of 24 hours. The program is a 33 weeks commitment..
|District Leadership Program Year Round FY16 Application Timeline|
|August 21, 2015||Application goes live on website|
|September 18, 2015||Deadline for Application|
|September 16, 2015||Pre-screening process (Interviews & review Writing samples)+|
|September 29, 2015||Mandatory Meet & Greet interview session with agencies and applicants. This activity will influence selection process.|
|October 12, 2015||Program Start date|
|May 26, 2016||Program completion date & ceremony|
To apply, visit Employment Opportunities
Supporting Documents: (All documents must be attached or your application will be incomplete and will not be processed.)
- Transcript from an accredited U.S. college or university
- Recommendation letter from an administrator
- Professional resume
For more information on the DLP, please contact DCHR at (202) 442-9700, option 2.